Now Accepting Applications for Summer and Academic Year Fellowships.
Deadlines: Summer: Friday, March 29th | Academic Year: Friday, April 19th
Please note that our application process has changed.
We have moved the application portal to the University Workflow system.
- For step-by-step instructions click here.
- For a downloadable sample copy of the Fellowship Application. click here.
Undergraduate research experiences are a great way to elevate your time at the University of Iowa.
The Office of Undergraduate Research Fellows Program has provided funding to over 2500 students -- amounting to over $5.8 million directly to students since 2010 -- to promote undergraduate engagement in research and creative projects.
The program allows current University of Iowa undergraduates in any discipline to work with UI faculty or Professional & Scientific staff mentors on a specific project during the academic year and/or summer.
Each spring, students and their mentors can apply for a Research Fellowship for the academic year or the summer.
Scholarship funding for selected applications is in the amount of $2,500 (for about 5-6 hours of work per week) for the academic year or $3,000 (for about 15-20 hours/week of work for 10 weeks) during the summer. (Please note, this is effective for the Summer 2024 and Academic year 2024-2025)
- Undergraduate student must be a full-time, degree-seeking student for the Fall 2024 term. (Summer participation does not require enrollment for the summer term)
- No mentor be named primary on more than one application per award period.
- A mentor may be named on a summer application and an academic year application.
- No student may be named on more than one application per award period.
- A student may be named on a summer application and an academic year application.
- Student must have a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Students should check with the Office of Financial Aid to see how OUR Funds may impact their other Financial Aid packages.
Applications for the Fellows Program open in January each year for the following summer or academic year. Dates are announced on this website, OUR social media pages, and our mailing list.
- Please note that unfortunately, the Office of Undergraduate Research cannot offer Fellows funding at other times during the year. Applications for funding are only available during the spring semester for the following summer or academic year. Late applications cannot be accepted.